Friday, February 01, 2008

When It Rains, It Pours


Hollabeck laments the lack of snowfall in our region this year. I'm sympathetic. Why make a cross country move without the outcome of the seasonal trappings? While this winter has had its moments of bitter cold, it's failed to produce much snowfall. The month of January had the least recorded amount of snowfall in New York City for 75 years. Why, that's practically dire.

This situation is more than accommodated with copious rainfall. As you may (or may not) be aware, I deplore rain. I can handle blistering sun, blustery wind and heavy snow but I absolutely despise rain. Today it rained with impunity. The grey mottled sky brought forth ongoing rain from the moment I arrived at work until the time I got home. It came in waves, from a light mist to slathering walls of water. Of course by the time I drove home tonight, it was an ongoing waterfall of water rendering highway driving a most arduous experience. I had to concentrate with superhuman skill in order to see the lines on the road through the wall of water and the dark. Since I drive this bit of road daily, I know it intimately and that habit of memory served me well.

However, one positive thing occurred which I can positively credit to this hated element--at one point during the storm, I peered out of the window and saw one of the large trees outside of my window occupied by a robin. His breast was red and vibrant and he rested on the branch unfazed by the elements. He was soon joined by another robin, then another and before long; the tree was populated by two dozen of them. It had a rather Hitchcockan quality to it so I went to the window to examine it closely. Where were they coming from? Didn't they know it was winter? I happened to look down and there in a sprawling yew bush I saw multitudes of robins congregating; they had apparently nested right below my office. The onslaught of rain must have roused them from their home. I watched them continue the process of moving from yew bush to tree and within an hour, they had dispatched to parts unknown.

Maybe Spring is closer than I think.

No comments: