Sunday, February 10, 2008

Since You Asked


Thanks to a typo on my part, I left many of you confused by an item on last night's post. I'd like to leave you wondering if runching is some nasty sexual practice (and maybe it is) but I meant it in the context of fashion, as Hollaback astutely predicted.

In ruching, a large number of increases are introduced in one row, which are then removed by decreases a few rows later. This produces many small vertical ripples in the fabric, effectively little pleats. The technique of shirring produces a similar effect by gathering the fabric in two parallel rows (not necessarily horizontal), usually by smocking.

A great aesthetic for Project Runway and master drapers like Rami; bad for everyday people who look more like they slept in their clothing.

And there you have it.

2 comments:

caryl said...

Oh! *slapping forehead*. Gotcha.

Soul Reporter said...

haha, I thought it was New York slang for running while eating lunch.