Sunday, February 10, 2008

Dress Dilemma

I am attending an industry event on Tuesday night. It's not the kind of evening where I can actually have some fun; yes, it involves donning a cute cocktail dress and some dark eye make-up. However it will also be populated by dull, conservative, back slapping industry types so it'll be work and I will have to be serious. Oy.

I must own ten black cocktail dresses. I went through the effort of trying them on this weekend to see which would work best. The first, a satin BCBG with flared skirt and black net crinoline showed too much boobage for such an affair. As did a black chiffon dress that I love. The sequined tank dress was a little flashy. A layered ruffled Ralph Lauren column dress with spaghetti straps was elegant but perhaps just a bit too bare. The velvet sheath looked too short and so on. Nothing seemed quite right for an event that needed some modicum of gravitas. Aw, fuck. I had to go shopping.

I went to Macy's at Herald Square. I love this flagship store with its nine floors and two buildings. Encompassing an entire city block, one can easily get lost in this massive emporium. I love the old wooden escalators and the open pageantry of the main floor, especially during their annual flower show in April. It's spectacular.

I made my way up to the fourth floor and proceeded to try on dresses. My MO is pretty predictable: I first go for an armful of flashy stuff--the embellished necklines. sequined sheaths, low cut. After the shock of the dressing room reality check (and today it was, "I am shopping for a dress for this event because everything else I have is too hoochie for this event"), I move on to round two. I seek more conservative necklines but with a touch of femininity and flash (fuller skirts, some beading or sequins, maybe a jewel tone color of the dress). Round three is usually "business time". By now, I'm tired and ready to make the practical choice. I aim for a black dress with some pizzazz, feminine without showing too much flesh. I find an Evan Picone chiffon halter dress with knee length flared skirt. I know I can pair this with some edgy Ferragamo sandals that I already own, some inherited Kenneth Jay Lane costume jewelry, a silver clutch and a vintage velvet jacket I bought 15 years ago in Berkeley. Not too offensive for the old boys; girlish enough so I don't feel like a hag.

This is ALREADY work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

At what point too much 'boobage' is considered.. well.. 'too much'? The more the merrier, no?... Or, that's just me?
Next time you need an opinion i can help! :-D

mary said...

Dr. Doolittle read "boobage" and "halter", reflected on what you were wearing at the wedding and then was running off at the mouth for 15 minutes. We both agree, you always look great (not counting the Col. Sanders outfit you were once so fond of) and Tuesday won't be any different. Besides, I know you have the wit and the charm to put the old boys in their place if they venture to critique your vetements.

caryl said...

Yes, you'll look great and be charming. No worries.

Bluesgirl said...

I'm sure you'll look lovely!! Just make sure there is a some room in that dress for a rearranging should the need arise to show some leg or bustline. You never know, you might find a nice looking gentleman or a dark corner ( or both). Have fun !!

amynoroom said...

I'm jealous. I wish I had a little black cocktail dress...and you have a bunch...and none are working for ya. Dang, girl!!!! Send um to me, will ya? haaaaa haa ha haaa!!!

Julie said...

PHOTOS!!!!