Monday, February 11, 2008

Showtime!


The actor Roy Scheider died yesterday. When I heard the news, all I could imagine was the reference to his best known role, that of the police chief in "Jaws." While familiarly associated with that blockbuster as well as "The French Connection," Mr. Scheider's best work was clearly his tour de force in "All That Jazz."

"All That Jazz" remains one of those films that is raw, overt and uncomfortably humorous. Scheider's turn as Joe Gideon is flamboyant and edgy. You experience his life ebbing away and from it springs glitzy art. The final sequence, played out in musical sequence (jazz hands included), is grotesquely brilliant. I credit Bob Fosse with the ability to objectively see his own shortcomings as well as his strengths and to infuse them so seamlessly into Joe Gideon. Even more curious was Fosse's accurate prediction of his demise as embodied in Joe's celluloid death.

At the time "All That Jazz" was released, critics called it "self indulgent." Maybe, but critics also compared this film with Fellini’s "8-1/2." Regardless praise was reserved for Scheider who nabbed an Oscar nomination and admiration for a sound display of acting (and singing) chops.

Tomorrow when his obituary appears, we'll all be reminded of his role of Chief Brody in "Jaws." But if you want to honor the actor, please rent "All That Jazz."

3 comments:

SDCrawford said...

"I think we need a bigger boat"

morewines said...

Loved "All That Jazz". I have the DVD in my media rack.

Julie said...

I didn't even know he died! That makes me so sad...

I love 'All That Jazz'...it's up there with 'Nashville' in my book of movies about what it takes to be a performer. Brilliant.

But you know, CW, if you think about it, 8-1/2 is one of the most self-indulgent movies ever made. Not that there's anything wrong with that! ;-)