Friday, February 29, 2008

A Brush With Greatness

I'm leaving for the West Coast tomorrow at the crack of dawn for six days of family visits and work. I'm already feeling like the brutal cold of the East Coast winter has worn down any of my shiny exterior veneer so I decided to sneak in a facial after work to slough off a layer of this dreary season. Got to look good for my home town peeps and all.

I discovered a small place in Chelsea that offers a series of spa like services, tailored specifically (but not exclusively) to men. I love the owner, Anna, who like me is a California transplant. She's funky, edgy, funny and one of those people that I bounded with the moment we met. She's the woman who treated me to that ionic foot bath that sucked all the bad minerals, waste and karma out of my system so she's already witnessed firsthand my vices (as they exited so exuberantly from the soles of my feet). Her little venue is called Mortal Man.

A few days ago, I called her to move my appointment back a half hour. When I got her answering machine, the message carried a distinctly familiar voice which announced the spa, its hours and the like. Can it be? I know that voice? Is it an imitator? Then the voice proclaimed, "Mortal Man. Make it work! Carry On!" Sweet screaming Jesus--it WAS Tim Gunn.

So of course the moment I arrived at the spa, I pressed Anna about the message. She was totally cool, "Oh, Tim is one of my clients. He did that message as a favor to me." Oh Lord. So as I sprawled out on the table and as she exfoliated my forehead and cheeks, I plied her with questions. Did Tim lay on this same table? What does he say about the people on "Project Runway?" Who is going to win season 4? Is Nina Garcia a bitch or a softie in real life? Did he hate Wendy Pepper? Who does he think is the most talented? Does he agree with the judges' choices? Is Michael Kors a prima donna in real life? Is Heidi nice? Does he like his new gig with Liz Claiborne? Will his "Guide to Style" show be renewed?

She answered all these questions and more. I could go into a lot of detail, but I can tell you a few things. Tim couldn't reveal the winner of season 4 (of course) but he did throw out this tantalizing tidbit, "The winner was in danger of being eliminated early in the show but they really bounced back." Nina is very competitive and not so nice. Kors has an entourage now that he has a new burst of fame from "Project Runway." Heidi is wonderful. Pepper is a bitch. And his other Bravo show, "Tim's Guide to Style" has been renewed but they've dropped his co-host Veronica Webb because she was so nasty. He does not have a new co-host yet. I told Anna that I'd like that job. I hope she passes that along to Tim. (I hope, I hope, I hope). He thinks that this season's designers are the best yet and they are all very professional. He thinks Christian is the only example of a true fashion prodigy that's he's seen on the show thus far. Tim is as nice and modest in real life as he seems on TV. I could go on.

By the way, the facial was great too. Tim has beautiful skin so I'd chalk that up to Anna's skills. This may become a new habit.

8 comments:

amynoroom said...

I need to start hanging out with you!!! You always get the best facials, skin treatments, pedicures, hair cuts, etc. I need that kind of treatment!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the scoop on Tim! I lerve Tim. How much did you love the comment he made to Chris about the monkey house? Hysterical! Have a great trip! I will be jealous of the warmth as it snows once again here in New England.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I need that kind of treatment too! When are you taking me?
I furnish the cucumber! :-)

caryl said...

Awesome! One degree of separation. That's very cool. Thanks for the inside info.

morewines said...

Go visit my friends at Thomas
Coyne Winery. You know you love his
wine.

Chicken And Waffles said...

Zen--my next appointment is in four weeks and you're more than welcome!
Thanks for the tip, Morewines. I'll try and fit it in!

Karen said...

Where is this place? I gotta go!

nisemono3.14 said...

I wish I could claim to hate the celebrity gossip.

Honestly, I am a little jealous of your one degree of separation, and totally jealous of Anna.

Tim Gunn is awesome.