Friday, February 15, 2008

Slave To Fashion


It always seems weird to me that designers are showing fashions for the upcoming Fall season in winter, but fashion week is for the retailers as well as us armchair connoisseurs; stores have got to be properly stocked in due course for prospective shoppers scoping out their September trench coats.

Of course, we must look to fashion week here in New York to set the tone for what will be the must-have items for the season. I like to have an inkling of what those things will be so I can weigh whether or not it's worth keeping that neon jacket with the zippers from 1983 for one more year. My Manhattan apartment doesn't have THAT much closet space and hard choices have to be made. The heady question: will it come back into fashion or is it doomed to Goodwill? I really fucked it up with that whole platform shoe thing a few years back so I'm a tad gun-shy.

Drawing on a few sources post-Fashion Week, these appear to be the hottest trends for fall:

-Black-clad Femme Fatale - Aw, come on. That never goes out of style.

-Fur - Faux, I hope. I am with PETA on this one.

-Grey Dresses - Classic. Who doesn't look good in grey?

-Slouchy-Chic, High-Waisted Trousers - Please. No one looks good in this style, Grandma.

-Metallics - Still loving this trend, but limit your metallic largesse on shoes and accessories. Anything too big has HOOKER written all over it.

-Color, Color & More Color - More jewel tones, please. They ignite anyone who wears them.

-Hats - Bring back the huge picture hat, please, but ditch the Von Dutch trucker hats.

-Spats - Fop, marching band member, bagpiper or fashionista. You decide.

-Touches of Classic Red - Oh. Yes. Please. And I recommend that touch of red be lipstick. Christian Dior, Tres Dior, Classic Red. Or MAC's Viva Glam Russian Red. Or Chanel's Classic #12.

-Hitchcock Blondes - Yeah, baby. I am all over that sophsiticated Kim Novak/Tippi Hendren look. Shame you practically blister your head achieving it.

-Asian Influenced Florals - A timeless trend as far as I am concerned. I envision a chinois trench in my future this fall.

I suppose trend interpretation is open to all of us. This week I wore something to a client meeting that I was dubious about (actually it was an accessory which was very bold but something I was comfortable wearing). I sought a second opinion from a trusted source. Jewels said sagely, "You could wear a maxi pad stuck to your head. No one should question it at all. You merely have to say is, 'It's Fashion Week, people." Apparently that provides everyone a brief exemption of fashion sins.

That works for me.

4 comments:

caryl said...

I'm going through a black period. I think I may be rebelling, albeit a tad late (since I'm menopausal!). I mean, it's pretty sad when you AND your teenage son are going through a rebellious stage and you're both growing your first moustaches.

I'm wearing clothes that drive my family nuts ("you need to wear more color!") Yeah, the little pink top I was wearing when I met you hasn't seen the light of day since then.

I ain't wearing no high-waisted trousers or fur. OK, you mentioned spats, but what about the ballet slippers in every color and design. Are they still in?

Whatever, man. People just don't dig my generation! Aiight?

Chicken And Waffles said...

Hah! I love the comment about growing your first moustaches. Caryl, you are an original!

Yes, the ballet flats are in but think spring, baby. Think spring!

Black never goes out of style. If you can partner it with a bad ass attitude, by all means do so.

Karen said...

Yeah, mental-pause is is bitch. I dress in black all the time with perhaps a little bit of color peeking out somewhere (hopefully it isn't the dryer sheet that was stuck to the inside of my pants leg.) Anyway, I have never been one to follow fashion to the nines, very simple am I. Besides, when I look in a mirror and feel good about how I look, I just have to turn and look at my AP diameter and it's all downhill from there.

Unknown said...

I, for one, do not look all that good in gray. It kind of makes me look gray. But I wear it anyway. I don't look that good in black either, actually. Little black dress is one thing, if there is sufficient skin showing, but say a black turtleneck on me? Yuck. I loves me some color!

As for trends, I really don't have the cash to follow them that closely so I try to find classic pieces whenever I can. I do want some new red shoes this year though!