Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Good, The Bad & The Overstyled

This year's Oscar fashions were lacking appalling faux pas and shocking delights. However one particularly appealing trend represented was the plethora of brilliant shades of red on display. Blondes always look sharp in some shades of red, but it takes a dark eyed porcelin skinned brunnette to really rock a true red. Anne Hathaway looked stunning (although I'm still deliberating on the cascading flowers; it reminds me of cheap holiday garnish).
Now, I'm a drama queen by nature, so I confess the dress worn by Heidi Klum really appealed to me. You could hurt a man (or Seal) with that train. There were other bright displays of color as well. Here, Kelly Preston wore a school bus yellow gown that reflected effectively off the shellacked Ken dolls she carted on both arms. Taxidermy is such a wonderful science. Maternity chic was clearly front and center (though, Cate, what up with that neck accessory? It looks like the shell necklaces they sell four for a dollar on the beach in Oahu). Jennifer Garner would look gorgeous naked; instead she chose to channel her inner flamenca. This dress is perfectly fitted althought I tried to imagine what it would be like to use the lady's room at the Kodak Theater while wearing this. That's gotta hurt. Daniel, I love you to bits. And damn, you really did deserve to win the Oscar. But honey, there's no excuse for that suit. And while I admire your talented partner Rebecca Miller, did you pick out her dress? Or breastplate? Or orange bra?Marion Cotillard, you broke our hearts playing Edith Piaf and your Oscar win was a nice upset. Yet, there's a really big fish somewhere near Marseille who, stripped of its scales, suffers tonight at your hands. Let that be on your head.

While Nicole Kidman usually pulls off something elegant and dramatic, this chainmail accessorizing was not working for me.

This looks good with Cameron's tan and the dress color is divine, but was this actually fitted? Doesn't appear so from the back, if you ask me.

Amy Adams looked so stunning in this. Fabu-lousness.

Oh, Jennifer. Why? Were you listening to Andre Leon Talley again? It looks like you're smuggling puppies.

And the worst of the night? It has to be the very talented (and Oscar award winner) Tilda Swinton in what appears to be a Hefty cinch sack. Oh, honey. Please don't do that in 2009 when you present "Best Supporting Actor." We won't think any less of you.

So that's my take. What were your picks?

3 comments:

SDCrawford said...

Why does Cameron Diaz show up & why do all the red-carpet interviewers feel the need to give her any attention. What a waste of time. Go home, Cameron!

Karen said...

I'd like to see what they looked like the morning of and the morning after......Actually there are a few I don't ever want to see again. I didn't watch the Oscars so thanks for the links C&W.

caryl said...

I didn't watch the Oscars either, but I enjoyed your recap of the red carpet. It looks like a fun thing to do- you know, have someone dress you and do your hair and then walk, pose and wave, walk, pose and wave.

What am I talking about? I'm on cold medication, so I can't be held accountable.