Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Hot Dog!

It should come as no surprise to you that I am a connoisseur of hot dogs and especially of hot dog joints. These emporiums of tubular meat products are usually ratty shacks with few redeeming aesthetic qualities, but the hot dog varieties are often creative and delicious. When I worked in Connecticut, I favored a boisterous red hot with sauerkraut at the famous Swanky Frank's in Norwalk. And if a lunch hour allowed, I'd venture to Fairfield to sample Super Duper Weenie's chill dog. In New York City, it was worth the extra .50 cents to have a Sabrett sausage from the corner hot dog vendors--with a little brown mustard on a steamed bun, it was a satisfying meal. I'm actively seeking a comparable joint here in New Jersey. The best hot dog I ever had was on my first date with Fang. We went to Candlestick Park with his father to see the Giants play baseball. He ordered me a Polish dog, deeply entrenched in a warm voluptuous bun with brown mustard. It was one of the best things I ever ate--perhaps the dining experience was enhanced because I was with someone who I was mad about. The game was good too.

What's your favorite hot dog joint?

5 comments:

elainepill said...

when i was in college in san luis obispo in the early 80s, there was a hot dog joint called 'frank's famous hotdogs' and it was great. they had hotdog happy hour every week and their tag line was 'big weenies are better!'. i have no idea if it's still there or not.

glad to have you back...i came to know your blog via hollabeck and her ex.

SDCrawford said...

EP - Frank's is still there & is raved about for it's BREAKFAST BURRITO! Can you believe I've never been?

My fav hot dog shack no longer exists. The Original Kasper's http://www.originalkaspers.com/home.html The location of many father daughter lunch dates through my childhood.

mary said...

Tommy's in the valley. There was another dive shack on Willoughby and La Brea, I think. I had to close my eyes everytime we went in there--I kept expecting a cock roach to bring the food out, but it was soooo good.

amynoroom said...

Hot Diggity Dog! Glad you are back posting!!!

Chicken And Waffles said...

I remember Kasper's on Telegraph in Oakland. I lived there in the early 1980s and those were awesome dogs, Sarah!