Thursday, February 21, 2008

What DO Men Want?


At the risk of asking the age old question--can anyone tell me what men really want in a woman? Is it someone who challenges them and sparks the far reaches of their minds? Is it someone who makes them feel like Superman in the bedroom and a master of their domain in the rest of the house? Is it a person who is their equal in all respects, who exemplifies the true definition of "partner?" I still haven't figured out this stupid dichotomy.

While this is a loaded question for an easy Thursday night, I will cite this: I do know one thing for sure. That whole Madonna/whore syndrome most certainly does exist. For any of us who enjoyed adventurous sex and risky abandon prior to a marriage, we know that we represented at some point in our lives a legit and appealing whore (presumably with intellectual equal) to the men in our lives. One those little bands of hard won gold slide down a finger, not much else is going down in a marriage (pardon the obvious euphemism). If you think you'll ever get fucked in the backseat of a car again (even by your husband), you have another thing coming. You're suddenly "better" than that. You are a wife, a participating member of a family and the most holy of holy, the potential mother of this man's children. Cue ecclesiastical music now and don your halo. You have migrated to The Madonna. Preserve your vaginas, girls, for it may possibly be enshrined. You are a relic and therefore, to be honored and respected and perhaps reverently handled.

It would be far too easy to blame Catholic school for this one. And even easier to blame the man's mother. Perhaps the origin can be squarely placed in the hands of the male mind. I suspect some organic make up suggests a clear status separation between a woman you are dating (a woman that is as disposable as a soiled wet nap as she shows signs of wear) and the woman you marry (and her truly significant role as a mother). I recognize this requires some deliberation.

The fact is this; men are wonderful creatures and undeniably, we adore them. It's no mystery--we are continually drawn to them. Personally, I value their candor, their overt charms, and their genuine lay-it-on-the-line sweetness. I count on a man to be forthright and fun. Most of them are. They swagger with a natural confidence and crumble with earnestness. I won't degrade their sex by generalizing in black and white terms. Indeed it seems to be me that they are as complex as their female counterparts.

But let's get back to the whole Madonna/whore thing. The lesson to be gleaned from tonight's diatribe should be thus--if you marry, be prepared to be adored but perhaps not fulfilled as a woman. If you don't chose said path you will probably be parenthetically lonely but you will (theoretically)have a hell of a lot of fun. Perhaps that is why a lot of single women own cats---cats provide some aspect of maintenance in a routine but the cats don't talk back. And the single gals get the high hard one too. They may be the lucky ones.

It's a loosely realized theory so know that I welcome your comments; good, bad, angry--they are all sound voices.

5 comments:

caryl said...

I'm not sure about this. I think my husband would like to see that whore come out in me still. It all changed when we had babies.

I'm the one who felt Madonna-like after they were born. It's really hard to flip that switch from good Mommy to bad girl. And forget about it if you breast-feed. You just don't feel very sexual when people are actually feeding off of you.

But that's just me.

Chicken And Waffles said...

In the cold light of day, I'M not sure either. This post was the bi-product of a dialogue with a friend(and don't even ask me how we got on the subject as I can't even remember), no doubt fueled by a current surge of perimenopausal angst. However, I do think this exists in some varying degrees and possibly is interchangeable. Who knows?

I liked your thoughts, Caryl. Especially the phrase, "people actually feeding off of you." You're hilarious!

Karen said...

Madonna/whore. Yeah, I've been there. Who knows what men really want? They all bounce around like rubber balls anyway.

Unknown said...

Reminds me of some lyrics to a song by Sting where he rhapsodizes about this perfect woman-

The blessed Saint Theresa
The whore of Babylon
Madonna & my mother
All rolled into one

I think they want us to be all things at the appropriate time. Of course, I didn't give birth to my husband's children so maybe that's why he would more than encourage the whore side! Nah, wait a minute - he sure as hell doesn't put his ex on some Madonna-like pedestal. Hmmm. Interesting topic as always, CW!

Julie said...

Well, as someone who survived over ten years in a loveless marriage, I'm ready to live. All I can tell you is my next guy better treat me like a woman, plain and simple. I am part whore, part Madonna, and lots of other stuff. Give me a man who can handle that, and the rest will take care of itself.