Friday, February 22, 2008

Snow Day

The weathercasters on television here have a decided penchant for overreacting when they see a storm front moving on an Easterly trek across the nation. The stations create alarming graphics that exclaim "Winter Storm 2008!" and grave predictions are spewed forth like soothsayers foretelling an impending swarm of locusts.

Such was the case here as of Wednesday when meteorologists shook with fervor as they predicted a winter storm arriving in this area today. Well, these weather folk have been wrong and this thought was in my head yesterday at work as I shut my computer down for the day. After all, Thursday was a chilly day but the sun was brilliantly bright and the conditions were dry. Still I cautioned Hollaback to pack up her laptop and her work accoutrements in the remote chance we'd be storm bound. I did the same, albeit skeptically.

This morning when Fang rolled out of bed, he stopped at the window and glanced out at the street. "Oh you are SO not driving to Connecticut today," he said, "baby's got a snow day." I went to the window and peeked out. This is what I saw: You know, it's not so bad working from home once in awhile.

No comments: