Sunday, February 24, 2008

Oscar Night


When I was a kid, I couldn't wait for Oscar night. I loved watching the parade of dresses and reveled in the pageantry of the climactic choices. As I got older, I became proficient in making the right choices (even in upsets) and I pocketed a fair amount of coin in the many office pools. For once, I've seen a few of the nominated features and here I offer my predictions for tonight's winners:

Best Film -"No Country For Old Men"
Best Director - The Coen Brothers "No Country For Old Men"
Best Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"
Best Actress - Julie Christie, "Away From Her"
Best Supporting Actor - Javier Bardem, "No Country For Old Men" (How scary is a man in a page boy haircut?)
Best Supporting Actress - Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"
Best Screenplay - "Juno"
Best Editing - "The Bourne Ultimatum"
Art Direction - "There Will Be Blood"
Cinematography - "The Diving Bell & The Butterfly"
Costume Design - "Sweeney Todd"
Original Score - "Atonement"

And that annoying but catchy song from "Once" will win too. I love and hate it.

I'd like to stay and chat but the show is starting soon.

The Oscar fashion discourse must take place tomorrow.

11 comments:

morewines said...

Ok C&W I disagree "Once" is not
annoying. The movie is fantastic.

Karen said...

Let me know how they turn out. I hate awards shows. The plastic and pagentry...I'd rather stick pencils in my eyes. Good luck with your choices.

Bluesgirl said...

Okay ladies, Don't spill the bean on "once". I finally rented it and am planning on watching it tomorrow night. If that gorgeous man that stars in it is any indication, I will not be disappointed. C&W, I agree with all your Oscar picks except I think Casey Affleck might surprise us and take home best supporting actor for Jessie James. I have to go start watching - I'm late !!

caryl said...

Oh. My. God. I'm so out of touch. I've never even heard of "Once"! Where the hell have I been?

morewines said...

bluesgirl,

You will not be disappointed.
And the song "Once" won. YEAH!

morewines said...

Correction. The winning song is
called "Falling Slowly" from the
movie "Once".

Unknown said...

God is truly in his universe..."Falling Slowly" wins...YES

Chicken And Waffles said...

A sincere apology to Morewines for my glibness and let me be clear; I have heard "Once" IS a fantastic movie and I certainly did not mean to disparage it. It's that song "Falling Slowly"--I actually liked it alot when I first heard it...but I must have heard 50 times in the last week and it's starting to get on my nerves. I'm glad it won last night, though.

And I blew the prediction on the actress categories. Those were surprises..!

morewines said...

C&W did you have some inside info
or what? You did damn good.

Chicken And Waffles said...

You're kind, my veritel savvy friend, but I actually saw a few of the films this year (instead of lining up my Netflix cue after the fact). "Once" is already in the cue!

SDCrawford said...

D D-L is one smokin' hot oil tycoon. Get me some of that ASAP!