Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Fickle Finger of Temptation


Occasionally at work, I'll receive an e-mail from some industry or publishing organization that blasts a listing of current job openings. I'll usually glimpse at them, not because I'm looking for a job, but to see which of our competitors have lost which key staffers. It's a jungle out there, you know, so it pays to keep one step ahead of the competition.

Today I received a listings blast from a large publishing industry organization and there at the top of the list was my ultimate dream job: Advertising Director at US Weekly Magazine. My first thought was "Wow, if I had that job, I wouldn't have to pay for my subscription anymore." I then read the job description and realized I was more than qualified to do the job. The final qualification had me in its thrall: "Candidate will have a finger on the pulse of contemporary culture." I couldn't get over the notion that I could be paid for possessing expertise generally categorized as utterly useless. And the job is based in Manhattan. Oh, sweet temptation.

I forwarded the listing to Jewels. He replied in his usual succinct fashion, "I say go for it! You can use me as a reference. Then once you get the job, you can invite me to all the social functions and we can make fun of everyone." That's right; I had forgotten about the social functions and interaction with celebrity. My, my.

It didn't take long for the smack of reality to seep in. Consumer publishing and the consumer ad market is wildly, viciously competitive and turnover is high. More than that aspect (which actually doesn't intimidate me..much), the simple fact is, I really, really like my current job. I thoroughly enjoy the people I work with. I like the opportunities and responsibilities that I've been entrusted with. I genuinely take pride in the products we produce. And most importantly, I am having fun. Everyday, I do have fun.

Funny these choices that come to you at the strangest times, but I believe they surface to force you to take stock of your current situation...and to perhaps make you appreciate it that much more. That's quite a reality check.

3 comments:

caryl said...

Wow! Andrew and Jen are back on?

Hee hee, just joshing ya. I got all excited there for a minute, thinking you might go for it, give me a job with the magazine (in the mailroom)and let me hang around when a celebrity wonders in.

But, if you rather be HAPPY. Whatever.

Karen said...

Just think, your days of fighting 18 wheelers on I95 would be history. But happiness in a job is key to longevity. Makes you wonder why the position is available....

I'm happy if you're happy.

Anonymous said...

I would cook for you for a free subscription! :-) Okay, it's not the best deal for me but I'm willing to go the extra mile to keep up with Britney Spears pregnancies.
Good luck!