Monday, November 12, 2007

Such Little Persuation

It had been a long day at work today, chock full of meetings and conference calls and occasions that involved reasonably articulate discourse. At the end of such a mentally demanding day, I should have done something beneficial to further my restorative well being: A brisk walk in the fresh evening air. An hour of kick boxing. A thoughtful corner alone in a cafe with the OpEd section of The New York Times.

Oh, I am so weak. I went out with Jewels instead.

It took so little to change my purposeful post-work objective. Jewels meandered over to my desk and said, "What are you doing after work? Want to go for a snort somewhere?" All virtuous considerations were immediately deserted. I slung my briefcase over my shoulder, looped my arm through his and we were off like a prom dress.

We found a dark bar on 7th Avenue and settled onto some high stools. A Ketel One for Jewels with copious olives. I had a lemon drop martini. Some sage once said martinis are like women's breasts--one is never enough and three are too many. I agree so I limited my consumption tonight to one. It is Monday and I have a long week ahead. Yet sipped slowly, it was just enough to take the edge off the day.

We talked about people we knew and the new shows opening on Broadway (mixed reviews for Mel Brooks' "Young Frankenstein" by the way, people. Save your money). We talked about dogs and vets; plans for the holidays and getting older. We both burst into a song or two. We debated the merits of brunch. Jewels regaled me with the experience of taking clients to The Chocolate Show at the Metropolitan Pavilion over the weekend (I am not a fan of chocolate so the notion of being trapped in a space overwhelmed by the sights and smells of copious fudge almost made me throw up in my mouth a little). We ordered a plate of nachos and used our hands to eat it. With Jewels, double dipping is perfectly acceptable. And to cap the evening, Jewels did his imitations of Mamela and The Glamazon. This is affectionate mimicking to be sure and it's absolutely dead on. I almost fell off my stool.

A most acceptable start to the week.

4 comments:

Karen said...

What??!! You don't like chocolate? That is like saying you don't like sex in my opinion. However, I will take ANY martini over chocolate any day.

caryl said...

I know! A woman who doesn't like chocolate? Did you have a traumatic experience involving chocolate as a child, CW? Maybe you saw the Easter Bunny kick a puppy or something? I'm so sorry.

SDCrawford said...

I don't like chocolate either.

Chicken And Waffles said...

I know, it's weird. I toured a Hershey factory as a kid and the smell put me off for life.

Now, what I lack in chocolate consumption, I make up in fried foodstuffs. A little batter, deep fry the shit out of it and I am so THERE.