Thursday, November 29, 2007

Declan

My friend Mary Catherine Full of Grace is the proud owner of a perfectly delightful child. On November 24th, he turned five. I've had a post celebrating this devilish, charming imp's entry into this world in a draft file since that day so that I could include a photo. Alas, all the photos that I have were lost in a recent involuntary purge of these computer files, so I can't fully illustrate his fair haired mischievousness. And what's more, I don't want to wait another day without marking this milestone.

When MCFOG found she was pregnant, she called me to tell me the news. I remember the day perfectly. I was in my Manhattan office in Midtown. It was the occasion of my birthday--my 40th. While I had no qualms turning 40, I was, on that day, turning over some regrets in my mind. Specifically, I regretted that I had passed this milestone without the benefit of having had children (and the realization that I would probably not have children); that I was not yet a Vice President at work (a milestone that was important to my Dad, who at that time was still living); that my family was predominantly in California and that I was far away from them; that I could probably never wear a miniskirt or go braless in public ever again; that AARP would be sending me mailings in a decade...there were quite a few thoughts in my mind that day.

When MCFOG called me, I was thrilled for her. She had always wanted to have a child. Her nature is nurturing, warm and fun--a very model of mother material. Her little bundle of joy (that would be the fellow named Declan) showed up around the time of Thanksgiving dinner. He showed up a little early but as is the hallmark of his effusive nature, he livened up the joint.

I first met him when he was a few years old. Giggly and rambunctious, he had a head full of MCFOG colored curls. He was initially tentative but before long, he was my best buddy. He said curiously astute and imaginative things. He displayed an affection towards people that represented his inquisitive mind, good manners (always saying "Ma'am" and "Sir")and kind disposition. I quite liked this little fellow.

My next meeting was this past May for the wedding vow renewal of MCFOG and Dr. Doolittle. The little man with his curls had become more intricate in his curiosity and imagination and affection. He graciously gave up his room to me during my stay and he bunked with his step-brother next door. The first morning staying there I awoke and as I craned opened my eyes, I saw a small wide eyed moppet flying towards me. He came inches within my face and said in breathless anticipation, "Whatcha doing?" "Get in here and cuddle with me," I said, patting the bed next to me. And he did. So I ventured, "Declan, what are you doing today?" He stopped and seemed to think deeply. "Well," he started quite seriously, "there is a lot of work to do today. There are lots of bugs that need tending to." "I see. what else?" "Daddy needs my help with things." "Why, you're very handy. I'm sure your Daddy appreciates your help," I exclaimed. "Yes, ma'am." he answered. He has the whiff of a southern accent and he's as sweet as a piece of pecan pie--how can you not be charmed?

On the day of the wedding, there were a lot of things transpiring all at once. Clear in my mind was Declan's determined desire to wear his Spiderman Halloween costume for the wedding. MCFOG let him wear it after the rehearsal dinner and he was very attached to it. In the end, she got him into his little kilt and proper Scottish kit, but as soon as post wedding pictures were taken, this little force of nature was racing around the reception in super hero mode. Like a pied piper, he led the joyous pursuits of the other kids, their wedding finery a bit disheveled as they romped in the tall grass of The Doolittle acred estate.

I can't believe he's five now. He'll be ten soon enough. Then 20. But why rush it? For now, I like the way he grins broadly like he's tickled utterly pink when you say something he thinks is funny. I like the way he calls me "Aunt Mikki." I like the way he puts his little hand on your cheek to show he likes you. I like the way he embraces the genuine values in a young boy's life: checking out the biological attributes in the creek in the back yard, waging war on the insects that dare crawl into the family homestead, his unbridled pleasure running in circles in the pasture. It reminds us (even those of us past 40) how sweet the simple things in life really are.

On the occasion of this recent milestone in his young life, I celebrate this boy who captures all the best characteristics of both his parents and with the wonder only meant for the innocent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! this is a wonderful tribute. He's one lucky dude!!! :-) happy birthday to him.

Karen said...

I wish you were around to write about my 3 boys when they were young, maybe I would have savored those moments a little more. I miss them being small. They grow up way too fast.