Sunday, December 17, 2006

On Friday, Jewels and I were hanging in my office, just shooting the shit, as people do at the end of the day, at the end of long week. In the middle of the conversation, for no reason at all, Jewels launched into the theme song from the classic 1970s TV show, "Good Times." I consider this one of the best TV theme songs of all time so of course I chimed in with him:

Keepin' your head above water, Making a wave when you can. Temporary lay offs. Good Times. Easy credit rip offs. Good Times. Scratchin' and surviving. Good Times. Hangin' in a chow line. Good Times. Ain't we lucky we got 'em. Good Times.

As we're doing our rather white version of the song's gospel inspired conclusion, our twenty- something assistant walked in. "What are you singing?" she asked with genuine confusion. After a few questions, it was evident she had never heard of "Good Times" or "Maude" or any of the Norman Lear shows that were the pivotal cornerstones of my childhood. Jewels suggested she should check out TV Land for an introduction.

I recall at the time these shows originally aired, they were considered highly controversial and ground breaking. I remember my parents talking about them with their friends in hushed tones. For their time, in the 1970s, these shows introduced themes that were cutting edge and daring: abortion, rape, racism, sexual orientation, women's liberation.

My mother would never let me watch "All in the Family." She loved the show herself, but deplored the stereotype of the bigoted, blue collar Archie Bunker. My favorite show of this genre was "Maude." I adored the theme song, I loved Bea Arthur in the role and I embraced the character--a woman who said what she thought, was confident, independent, ballsy. My mother let me watch this show because she thought Maude was a better role model for me than Edith Bunker. I now see what she was thinking.

For all their impact 30 years ago, today they just seem dated. Trust me when I say that at the time of their original airing, they were a breath of incredibly progressive air.

P.S. Piece of trivia here...did you know that Dave Gruisin co-wrote the "Good Times" theme?

No comments: